Thursday, September 24, 2009

Zucchini

Sage and Oregano
I had no luck with a vegetable garden this year; turns out you need sun to grow vegetables. Who knew! But the potted herbs make me happy. The teeny tomatoes from the last post were from my garden. They were a bit of a surprise considering I didn't plant them... They just sprouted up, I'm guessing from the compost. Anyway, on to Zucchini... which is not from my garden.

Zucchini Fritter
When I have a surplus and some time, I like to do some research. We had lots of zucchini from last week's CSA, so I made chocolate zucchini muffins (twice!) and these fritters. I made them for breakfast and they were good. I bet they would be really good with a poached egg, mmmm.
Zucchini Fritter

Zucchini Fritters
adapted from here
  • 1 pound zucchini, grated
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon masa corn flour
  • 1 whole egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Grate the zucchini and salt them. Let stand for 30 minutes to an hour in a colander. Squeeze the zucchini dry with your hands or wring it out with a kitchen towel.
  2. In a large bowl, add the zucchini and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil. gently mix.
  3. Heat the oil over medium heat in a cast-ron skillet, a comal or a non-stick sauté pan. When hot, add the batter by the heaping tablespoon. Spread a little to make a pancake shape.
  4. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until golden. Turn over with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes or so.
  5. Salt while draining on paper towels.
Yogurt topping: Greek yogurt, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.

6 comments:

Sprouted Kitchen said...

my garden sucked too, no shame.

Amanda Mae said...

thanks for the solidarity :) It would be so lovely to grow my own food... someday we'll get it... someday.

Shokoofeh said...

ah I am too hungry!

Cafe Pasadena said...

"Chocolate Zucchini Muffins"...my mouth needs to meditate on that phase for a whi!e.

Allison Jones said...

Oooh yum. I've got a zucchini chocolate cake somewhere over at lemonbasil. Killer.

Barbara said...

Those look super. You got them nice and brown. Love them that way!