Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An Ode to Super Natural ...

I've made many, many recipes from Heidi Swanson's new book Super Natural Every Day, and I've loved every one.

If you think I'm a little obsessed with 101cookbooks.com and Heidi, you're right.

I have a food crush, it's no secret.

I am grateful for the renewed inspiration to cook that this book has brought me! I haven't been that inspired to cook since baby... at first I was too exhausted, then I was lazy and really, I'd rather go outside and play in the grass with baby. But I'm figuring it out, I'm learning how to balance our time. Making all of JW's food has got me in the kitchen. Speaking of that, wouldn't a cookbook that had great recipes with related baby food recipes be cool!? A WHOLE family cookbook?! Maybe there is something like that out there... I'm probably really out of the loop...



In addition to the Pomegranate Glazed Eggplant, here are a few other things I've made:

Dukkah
Dukkah - we put it on hard boiled eggs, as suggest in the book and it was SO GOOD!

Ghee
I could eat ghee (clarified butter) with a spoon... it.is.amazing. It smells so nutty and perfect. I've been using it in replace of oil or butter for everything. And since that link says that ghee is good for you, I don't feel bad eating so much of it ;)

Yogurt Biscuits
I've made these at least 5 times so far... they are so easy! You can get the recipe here. If you're a biscuit fan you won't be disappointed! I've been meaning to make biscuits and gravy with these... instead I end up devouring them with honey and butter before I have a chance to do anything else...

White Beans & Cabbage
White beans and cabbage, mm, mmm, mmmmmm. This is the cover image recipe for the book (her photo is much better than mine, of course). This dish made me like cabbage, I was never really a fan before...

6 comments:

Caroline said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! Making those biscuits tonight!! And, that white bean and cabbage dish looks incredible!! YUM OH YUM!

Anonymous said...

YUM!! I am sooo envious I adore 101cookbooks.coma and love Heidi's first book. i am hanging out for my bookshop to get her new one in :) Have you looked at "Feeding the Whole Familyby Cynthia Lair" It has "recipes for babies, young children and their parents" :)

Easy peasy organic said...

Sadly I've already been on a bit of a cookbook binge ... so may have to wait on this one till my birthday! But it looks amazing, and you've convinced me even more I need it.

Must. have. it.
;D

Shokoofeh said...

You just made me so very hungry, Amanda! Love these.

ALFIE said...

this book is so very much a favorite of mine! i've been cooking up a storm from it, as well!

the white bean dip was incredible.
as was the dill butter. the rye soda bread. the millet muffins! oh the muffins!

and that crushed red pepper oil needs no further explanation.

off to make the biscuits!

ps: the book quinoa 365 has a whole section dedicated to baby food and kid-friendly foods are laced throughout! a great find!

Amanda Mae said...

wow! thanks girls! I am going to check out "Quinoa 365" and ""Feeding the Whole Family" .. so excited!