Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Watermelon



Every time I go to my mom's house I leave with something... Either she gives me something, or I steal something... sneaky!! Really, it just works out this way. Last week she GAVE me a watermelon. A really good, small, sweet watermelon. Our house ate half of it that night, and a couple of days later it was still sitting in our fridge ... staring at me every time opened the door. I hate to see fruit/vegetables go to waste. Which is really hard right now because we have a whole CSA box for just two of us, plus tomatoes from a friend's garden. I don't want any of it to go to waste! Gotta get creative, gotta do some research...

So, the other night, when Justin was at work, I was left on my own to scour the fridge. Turns out I had all the ingredients for this watermelon margarita. I also made fried okra - with okra from our CSA box. I am rarely at home alone for the evening, its strange, so quiet. But it was nice to sit on the porch with my watermelon margarita and fried okra, watching the neighborhood...

7 comments:

Cafe Observer said...

Oh woman, that looks goooood.

Please set up a watermelonade stand out on your street (dime a glass!) & I'll be over!

pasadenapio said...

Right out of the jar. That's fabulous.

Corrie said...

Okay, so I just stumbled onto your blog, and started reading about your adventures, and I think we may be the same person. Or at least related. Things in common: red hair, husbands named Justin, age 28, love of cooking and all things natural. WHAT?!

Amanda Mae said...

Corrie, that's amazing! What a coincidence! Do you live in Southern California too? What are the chances!

Jen, Jenny, Jennifer said...

Have you tried watermelon with yellow meat?????? Had it last night... AMAAZING!

loved seeing you this weekend.

Teton Valley Mom said...

Lovely! Your watermelon margarita looks delicious- we'll have to try this. I'm so jealous of your fried okra- that's the one vegetable that I dearly miss from the South. People here in Idaho don't even know what okra is!

Joslyn said...

this looks incredible. your blog is so lovely!